A woman rests peacefully in the rippled waters. Above her many angels are gathered. Difficult to see their purpose. The three lowermost angels blow trumpets. Is this The Crucifiction?
Visible are legs and torso - the legs appear bound - but the upper body is hard to discern.
The woman seems serene - even appears to be holding the water - pulling it to her, like a blanket. The colors are very muted; subdued.
Thinking of the title: Semblance. I always thought it to mean the appearance of - looking like. I know I am missing something here.
Looking at the images, it seems to be speaking of being at rest, at peace. But what of the angels?
Are they witnessing the moment of Christ's death, as she sleeps below - unaware?
Things have the appearance of calm and peacefulness, while something tragic is going on.
A warning, perhaps.
No comments:
Post a Comment